The top knot and messy high bun are popular hair trends that are not going away anytime soon, so if you haven’t tried them already…what are you waiting for?! As you can see, I’m a big fan of the top knot…HUGE! You have no idea. Or maybe you do now.
Both looks are fantastic twists on the plain ol’ bun and great for when you’re having a bad hair day or you’re too lazy or don’t have time to wash your hair. (I don’t know about you, but my showers are about 20 minutes longer when I have to wash my hair!)
The top knot and messy high bun are also super chic and a great option for when your wearing an outfit with shoulder or neck detail. One of my biggest style pet peeves is when ladies wear gorgeous tops with exquisite detail and cover it up by wearing their hair down. (What’s the point?!) Sorry. Back to the subject at hand. Below are some tips for creating the perfect top knot & the not so perfect messy high bun.
How To: Top Knot
- 1. Brush out your hair to remove knots. (Ironic, isn’t it?)
- 2. Flip your head over and put your hair in a high ponytail at the top of your head and secure with a hair tie. (Use a hair tie color closest to your hair color)
- 3. Twist, braid, or simply wrap your ponytail hair around the hair tie to create a smooth “knot” and secure with a second hair tie.
- 4. Use bobby pins to secure any loose pieces.
- 5. Spray a soft bristle brush with a little bit of hairspray and use to smooth out any frizzies. Viola! You now have a smooth, sleek top knot!
How To: Messy High Bun
- 1. Flip your head over and put your hair in a messy high ponytail at the top of your head and secure with a hair tie. (Use a hair tie color closest to your hair color.) Note: No need to brush out hair before hand with this look. The messier the better.
- 2. Pull the ponytail in an upward then downward position, just a tad, to loosen.
- 3. Loosely wrap ponytail hair around hair tie and secure pieces with bobby pins.
- 4. Loosen random pieces in front, at sides, back and on top to create the messy look if not created already. Viola! You now have a chic, messy high bun!
I smell a How To instructional video!