spiced sweet potato soup recipe
This Thanksgiving Damien and I are headed east to be with our families. For this special holiday, I wanted to make something delicious that would also be a “show stopper” of sorts.
This Thanksgiving Damien and I are headed east to be with our families. For this special holiday, I wanted to make something delicious that would also be a “show stopper” of sorts. I rarely cook, so anything I make will impress my family, but when I saw this Buzzfeed video for this Spiced Sweet Potato soup served in adorable pumpkin bowls, I had to try it!
I partnered with American Express and their Blue Cash Everyday card and shopped my little heart out. You get 3% cash back at US supermarkets so it’s a perfect time of year to use the card. I got everything I needed for my soup recipe and then some. I’m so excited to served this dish to my family back east and add some epic holiday flare to our Thanksgiving! Check out the video and recipe below and let me know if you try it!
SPICED SWEET POTATO SOUP (IN PUMPKIN BOWLS)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion
4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 can lite coconut milk
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 small pie pumpkins
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt, to taste
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 325℉/150℃
2. Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and stringy insides. Rinse the seeds. Toss the seeds with olive oil, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally until brown and crispy. Set aside.
3. Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Saute 2-3 minutes until soft. Add diced sweet potato, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat.
5. Using an immersion hand blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Ladle the soup into the pumpkins. Garnish with yogurt, toasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
Enjoy, and get more holiday inspo from these Buzzfeed videos created in partnership with American Express Blue Cash Everyday.
Photography by Sylvia G